Advertising, also known as any paid form of non-personal
communication about an organization, product, service, or idea by an identified
sponsor in which gives information about a product, is something that is
portrayed almost 24 hours a day, 7 days a week whether or not we are aware of
it. In the United States alone, over 263
billion dollars a year are spent on advertising. After observing the amount of
advertising done in a 24 hour span, I came to the conclusion that I truly am
not aware of the amount of advertising that is placed in front of me on a daily
basis.
At just 7:00 a.m. when I wake up to
start my day and turn on the music channels, there are advertisements on side
of the screen. The type of advertisement
depends on what time of music station I am listening to. When I turn on the
country station, the advertisements that tend to come up are promoting for the
country singer such as their cologne and perfume. On the radio for country, there are a lot of
dealership advertisements for trucks. When it comes to the hip-hop stations on
television, the ads tend to differ. They
are more focused towards clothing and cosmetic products such as crest white
strips, Herbal Essance, and Lancôme products.
When I get on my computer before I go up to class, advertisements that
pop up are things such as Verizon Wireless (my cell phone company), and
clothing products since I do a lot of online shopping. On my way to class every
day I see the same advertisements for all of the restaurants up and down Main
Street.
Around
12:00 p.m. on my way back from class I also see those same advertisements on
Main Street. When I get home from class
and turn on the television, I normally tend to turn on Lifetime Movie Network.
After doing this project, I realized that the advertisements for this channel
are focused more on middle-aged or older women.
Between one and my next class at 3:00, advertisements that were
portrayed were Activia, Granola Thins, Prescriptions Savings Card, Laser Spine
Institute (for back pain), Toyotas, Anti-depressants (Cymbalta), Exelon Patch
(Alzheimer’s), Ourtime.com, Match.com, and Puristics. All of these advertisements are types of ads
that a young woman at my age would not be interested in because most people at
my age tend to watch MTV instead of Lifetime.
After
class, I took a trip to the Lehigh Valley Mall where on the way I saw so many
advertisements that if I would have tried to keep track by writing them all
down I would have caused a car accident.
Everywhere you look there is an old fashion billboard or the new
electronic ones with multiple flashing advertisements. Some that stuck out that I could remember
were a Kutztown billboard, a Penn State baseball billboard, Never Quit Smoking
billboard, T-Mobil, Verizon Wireless, DeSales University and jewelry
billboards. At nighttime when I get home
and turn on MTV, the advertisements drastically change for the age range. The advertisements are clearly directed more
towards adolescents. Some that showed were Snapple half and half,
Twix, Maybelline, 10 minute trainer workout, Head and Shoulders, Febreze, and
crest 3D white strips. There were also
advertisements for Hershey Kisses, goldfish grains, Arby’s and Scion. After doing the observation of
advertisements, I found that the signaling that the distributers are trying to
get across differs from the different type of station you are listening to or
watching. Channels for younger people
direct their messages more towards the “new trends,” while channels directed
towards older people focus more on health care and old habits that most
probably already follow.
Lindsey -- Can you say more about how this affects people? Are we truly numb, or unaware of how pervasive commercialism is? What do you think the impact this has on society? Think about the big picture, please.
ReplyDelete